iPhone 5 to be thinner, lighter?

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

iPhone 5 to be thinner, lighter?

#1 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 am

When will we see the next generation iPhone - the iPhone 5? And what are its best features?

According to a recent report by the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), the new device will be thinner and lighter than the iPhone 4. It said people in the know have said that Apple has ordered key components for the new iPhone, as it is aiming to launch by the end of September.

In June, Apple announced that a new version of its mobile operating system would be available this fall, fueling speculation that the new phone will be released at the same time.

However, other recent reports suggest that the release might be delayed until early 2012. According to tech website techradar.com, the dual-core A5 processor that Apple is intending to use has been overheating. This might make Apple wait until the A6 chip is available, which won't be until the beginning of next year.

WSJ, meanwhile, reported that the new iPhone will operate on Qualcomm Inc.'s wireless chips. This will replace the chips used by the iPhone 4 from Infineon Techologies - a company which has since been bought by Intel.

The publication also said that the 5-megapixel camera will also make way for an 8-megapixel one for the new iteration.

Meanwhile, images have been found in China's website Apple.pro - a rather reliable source for product leaks and rumours - which show a test iPhone 4Gs unit that happens to run iOS4.0 out of the box, which is definitely strange.

The unit looks very much like the iPhone 4 and according to diagnostic software, it sports a 5-megapixel camera on the back - just like its predecessor.

The image of the phone in iTunes looks different from the previous iPhone versions, and in fact, looks much like a combination of the iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4.

Don't hold your breath for the iPhone 5 though. The WSJ also said that because the new model is so thin, it is especially complicated to build - which might lead to more delays.

Source : AsiaOne Mon, Jul 18, 2011
Link : http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNe ... 89691.html

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

Re: iPhone 5 to be thinner, lighter?

#2 Post by cruiser » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Remember at one time, when the cellphones were just too godzilla large to slip into any shirt pocket?

Then came the rush for as SMALL as possible... only dudes with hands of a WAWa are crying out to have them... I for one truly loath having any of those back then...

I waited and waited and in the meantime, saw no need to get caught up with this race of "must have" latest gadgets on cell phones... luckily, retired early so no need to stay and keep up with the madness of owning the latest units.

Now, we have screen sizes and desires too for larger keys to go with. The latest announcement from iPhone is again a repeat of the early years when the cellphone started being the smallest and cutest....pffff.

The practical size and hold a cell phone should be is one that holds firmly in the hand, enough screen to appreciate without squinting and a firm grip to feel with. Durability is important even when placed in a back pocket of a denim or Levis.

I am now beginning to appreciate my SGS2, SGS2A esp. when its safely encased in its leather croc protection....
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

onetree710
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 205W, 1350, 60CSX

Re: iPhone 5 to be thinner, lighter?

#3 Post by onetree710 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:18 pm

iPhone 4 imitates we have seen but has anyone seen a fake Apple store?

I really have to take my hats off to those copycats in China... #-o
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology- ... 25037.html
view your map contributions at masmap online